Don’t Live With Cloudy Vision.
Minnetonka Cataract Treatment
Be Eye Wise by understanding that cataracts are an eye condition that causes the lens of your eye to become cloudy and obstruct light. Twenty million Americans over the age of 40 are affected by cataracts. Not surprisingly, three million Americans opt for cataract surgery every year to correct the issue.
There are three basic types of cataracts, each occurring on a different area of the lens:
- Nuclear cataracts occur in the center of the lens
- Cortical cataracts occur as wedge-shaped spokes extending from the outside of the lens to the center
- Subcapsular cataracts occur at the back of the lens
Symptoms of cataracts can include:
- Blurred or dimmed vision (particularly at night)
- Cloudy vision
- Sensitivity to light and glare
- Visual distortions or “ghost images”
- Increased nearsightedness
- Difficulty reading or driving
Causes for Cataracts can include:
- Age-related cataracts are the most common, resulting from a natural build-up of proteins in the lens.
- Congenital cataracts may be present at birth or developed during childhood.
- Secondary cataracts develop when other health or ophthalmologic conditions (such as diabetes) are present.
- Traumatic cataracts can develop after an eye injury.